|Mummy's style braised pork belly|
Braised pork belly is one of our family's comfort food and it is especially comforting in a cold,rainy weather like today...
I have make braised pork belly several times before and on the last occasion, my mum tried them and gave me some pointers to improve my braised pork belly. Therefore this time, I used my mum's recipe and it turns out great!!!
Her secret ingredient is the white sugar, melt the sugar and use them to brown the meat!!!
You could prepare this dish in advance, cool down and keep in fridge. Re-heat before serving. The more time you re-heat, the more flavourful the dish will become. Enjoy!
1. 200g of pork belly ( I didn't use pork belly this time round, substitute with a leaner pork and it is still yummy)
2. 10 mini dried mushrooms, soaked
3. 2 hard boiled eggs
4. 3 tablespoon of white sugar
5. 1 teaspoon of corn flour
|Cinnamon, cloves and star aniseeds|
1. 800ml water
2. 2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
3. 1 tablespoon of dark sweet sauce
4. 2 tablespoon of light soy sauce
5. 1 cinnamon stick
6. 1 star aniseeds
7. 4 cloves
8. 1/2 teaspoon of 5 spices powder
9. 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
10. 1 bulb of garlic, smashed and keep the skin
|Smashed the garlic cloves with the side of knife|
1. Heat frying pan and melt the white sugar into brown liquid as shown in picture below. Do note that this may take a while.
2. After the sugar has become brown liquid, put in the pork and brown both sides of the pork as shown in photo.
3. Add in mushroom and (A).
4. Bring to boil and then simmer for an hour.
5. Add the egg and corn flour during the last 10 minutes before the dish is ready.
|Place white sugar into heated frying pan|
|White sugar starting to melt|
|Melted sugar and turn brownish|
|Brown pork on both sides|