I am not sure what it is called in English but if I just translate it based on the "kuih", I will named it Sugar-coated Sweet Potato Doughnut...
It is pretty simple to make this and if you would like to prepare them beforehand, you can mould the doughnut into its shaped and keep it inside the fridge overnight, and deep fry them in the morning for breakfast!
|A bite reveal whats inside... soft and chewy!|
(Makes 12 sweet potato doughnut)
1. 650g sweet potato , cut into small pieces
2. 65g tapioca starch
3. 65g plain flour
4. Oil for frying
5. Half cup of white sugar
6. 3 teaspoon of water
1. Peel off the skin of the sweet potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
2. Steam them until soft as shown in photo.
3. Let the steamed sweet potatoes cool down for a bit until you hand can hold them, then add the tapioca flour and plain flour.
|Steamed Sweet Potato|
4. Mix well using hand, kneading them.
5. Shaped them into a doughnut shape using hand.
6. Deep fry the sweet potato doughnut using medium to high heat until it is golden brown. Make sure the oil cover at least half of the doughnut.
7. Drain off the excess oil and set aside the doughnut.
|Add flour and mix with hand|
|Done mixing.. time to mould them|
|Sweet potato rings|
|Deep fry with medium to high heat|
8. In another pan, heat up sugar until it melted. (This may take a while--probably 5-10 mins)
9. Once the sugar melted, add a little water and make them into thick syrup. Place the potato doughnut into the sugar syrup and coat them evenly.