Red bean paste is a great ingredient in many food. It can be used in making red bean bun, mooncake, and various kueh. It is time consuming, but easy to make at home. There are also commercially available red bean paste but making your own means you gets to control the amount of sugar inside it :)
INGREDIENTS (Makes around 330g of red bean paste):
1. 120g of red bean
2. 40g sugar
3. A pinch of salt
4. Water (as required)
1. Place the red bean in a container. Rinse a few times until the water is clear. Cover with water and soak overnight.
|Soaking red bean
|After one night, the red bean absorbed most the water.
2. Place the red bean into a pot and cover with water. Let it boil and then simmer for an hour until it is soft. Watch the stove and add water as required. Do not add too much water, add water little by little just to cover the beans.
3. After an hour, remove from stove and let it cool down.
4. Blend the cooled red bean into mash. Then add sugar and salt.
5. Place the pot back onto the stove and keep stirring until the sugar melts and the paste is not watering.
6. Let it cool down and use it in making your favourite food. Otherwise keep in fridge for up to a week or freezer for up to a month.
|I made bun :)