Chawanmushi is a popular egg custard dish that is served in most japanese restaurant. It is relatively easy to make and instead of flavouring the dish with the usual soy sauce, mirin (rice wine) and dashi(japanese soup base), i use chinese soup as the soup base.
Most of the recipe that I found calls for packet chicken broth, but since i am cooking soup for dinner, i make use of the soup i cook for the soup base instead of the commercialised chicken broth for a healthier version of chawanmushi :)
If you do not have the japanese tea cup with lid, one alternative will be using ramekin covered with aluminium foil like i did :)
1. 2 medium sized eggs
2. 100ml of soup base (i uses winter melon soup, alternative will be packet chicken broth that can be found in most supermarket)
3. 3 medium sized prawn, peeled and cut into small pieces
4. a small piece of salmon (about 3cmX5cm), remove skin and cut into small pieces
5. 3 shitake mushroom , remove stem, cut the cap into small pieces
6. a dash of salt and pepper
7. a handful of gou qi zi (wolfberries)
1. Marinate the prawn, salmon and mushroom with salt and pepper,set aside.
2. Mix the egg with the soup base and gou qi zi (wolfberries)
3. Place the marinate prawn mixture into ramekins.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the ramekins.
5. Cover with aluminium foil.
Post a Comment